|Date of birth:||1986|
|Place of birth:||Southampton|
|Regiment / Division:||Hampshire|
|Died:||23 December 1914, aged 28 years|
|Death location:||Lancashire Cottage Cemetery, Comines-Warneton, Hainault, Belgium|
William was the second of 3 siblings born to Frederick and Annie Andrews (nee Clothier). There is no concrete evidence of when Frederick (born in Winchester) and Annie married, but the family always lived in and around Bevois Valley. Details of their children are difficult to confirm.
- Frederick b. 1884 Southampton d. ??
- Charles b. 1890 Southampton d. ??
William married Gladys Jackson in Southampton in 1907, and they lived at 26 Duke’s Road, Bevois Valley. Gladys was born in Romsey in 1887, and they had 5 children. Unfortunately William would not have met their youngest, he having been born after William’s death.
- Gladys b. 1909 Southampton d. ??
- William b. 1910 Southampton d. 1987 New Forest
- Frederick Charles b. 1911 Southampton d. ?? Married Olive M. Brenton in Southampton in 1935.
- Freda May b. 1913 Southampton d. 1972 Winchester Married Sidney Stride in Southampton in 1935…married Maurice H. Merritt in Winchester in 1962.
- Charles Kitchener b. 1915 Southampton d. 1982 Southampton Married Maureen L. McGuire in Southampton in 1938.
William’s wife Gladys remarried in 1917, to James White.
The Hampshire 1st became part of the 11th Brigade of the 4th Division prior to their departure for France in August 1914.
William died the day before the unofficial Christmas“truce” came into force. There were few battles during the winter of 1914, with both sides spending their days shoring up defensive trenches.
The truce may well have given comrades a chance to recover William’s body from where he fell on 23 December.
|Updated:||Insert dates here|
If you have any additional information about the person named above please complete the Comments section below.
If you have any more information about the above named person, or any other name listed on this website or Southampton’s Cenotaph, please email Southampton.firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 023 8086 9599 and we will contact you. Many thanks.