|Date of birth:||May 1898|
|Place of birth:||Millbrook, Southampton|
|Regiment:||Royal Dublin Fusiliers|
|Rank / Service No:||Lance Corporal, 24231|
|Died:||25th October 1918, aged 30 years|
|Buried:||Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension, France (Plot IV, Row J, Grave 24)|
James was the oldest of 7 known siblings born to Henry and Phoebe HARRIET Daw (nee Lewis), who married in Millbrook on 6 August 1888.
These dates indicate that James was born out of wedlock, because his attestation papers declare his date of birth as May 1888. It must also be assumed that a child died in infancy.
Henry was born in Dorset in 1862 and he died in Millbrook on 19 May 1943. Harriet was born in Millbrook in 1868 and she passed away there in 1941.
William Gaius b. 1890 Millbrook d. 30 March 1944 Royal South Hants hospital
Beatrice Gertrude b. 1895 Millbrook d. 1964 St. Austell Married Henry Hooper in Plymouth in 1917. Married Douglas P. Bennetto in St Austell in 1940.
Percy Redvers b. 1900 Millbrook d. 1936 Romsey
Winifred Grace (Minnie) b. 1903 Millbrook d. 1980 New Forest
Albert Edward b. 1907 Millbrook d. 1934 Southampton Married Rose A. Fray in Eastleigh in 1932.
Cyril Jehu G. b. 1910 Millbrook d. 1979 Romsey Married Dorothy K. Foot in Romsey in 1934.
James originally joined the Hampshire 3rd Battalion in 1906, but was transferred before the outbreak of war.
The 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers were in Gravesend in August 1914, under the 10th Brigade in the 4th Division.
They landed at Boulogne on 22 August 1914.
On 15 November 1915, the battalion was transferred to the 48th Brigade in the 16th (Irish) Division.
On 14 April 1918, the 2nd Battalion was reduced to cadre strength as the serving soldiers were transferred to the 1st Battalion.
On the 6 June, the 2nd was reconstituted, by absorbing troops from the 7th Battalion.
On the 15 July the Battalion was transferred to the 149th Brigade in the 50th (Northumbrian) Division.
James almost certainly perished during the Battle of the Selle, which was part of The Last Hundred Days of WW1.
The Allies met surprisingly stiff resistance north-east of Cambrai, but the battle was all over by 26 October.
The cemetery extension was begun in September 1916 and contains 1754 Commonwealth burials.
James’ headstone reads: “ Our loss, God’s gain.”
|Published:||6th July 2016|
If you have any additional comments on the person named above, please complete the comments section below.