|Date of birth:||1881|
|Place of birth:||St Denys, Southampton|
|Regiment:||Yorkshire (Green Howards)|
|Rank / Service No:||Private, 42310|
|Died:||23rd February 1917, aged 35 years|
|Buried:||Warlincourt Halte British Cemetery, Saulty, France (Plot V, Row B, Grave 11)|
Harry was the oldest of 6 siblings born to John and Eliza Cutler (nee Diaper), who married in Southampton in 1880.
John was born in Minstead in 1854 and died in Southampton in 1933. Eliza was born in Itchen in 1855 and passed away in Winchester in 1943.
The family lived at 43 North Road, Portswood.
Harry married Emily Annie Dewey in Southampton in 1907, and the couple had 3 children….
Henry (Harry) Walter John b. 1908 Bitterne d. 1980 Lewisham Married Lilian W. Brown in Southampton in 1932.
Mabel Annie M. b. 1909 St Denys d. 1914 Southampton
Annie Lily K. b. 1914 Bitterne Park d. 2002 Fareham Married William E. Gale in New Forest in 1936.
Emily married twice after Harry’s death; firstly to Walter R. Meikle in 1920 and, secondly, to Leslie C. Gale in 1942.
Lily Maria b. 1883 St Denys d. 1961 Southampton Married Reginald W. Windsor in Southampton in 1930.
Edward b. 1885 St Denys d. 1959 Southampton Married Kate F. Humphries in Southampton in 1913.
George b. 1890 St Denys d. 1961 Southampton Married Cissie Smith in Christchurch in 1921.
Albert John b. 1892 St Denys d. 1897 St Denys
Ernest William b. 1896 St Denys d. 1965 Southampton Married Beatrice Holloway in Southampton in 1927.
Harry originally enlisted in the Royal Field Artillery (# 150496) but transferred to the Green Howards.
He was not in the first draft that arrived at Ypres on 14 October 1914 and took part in the First Battle.
The Battalion was transferred to the 21st Brigade in the 7th Division on 28 August 1914 and to the 30th Division on 20 December 1915.
Harry probably perished during the every-day trench warfare around Arras, before the battle of that name in April 1917.
The site of the cemetery was chosen in May 1916. It was used from June 1916 to May 1917 by the 20th & 43rd Casualty Clearing Stations, in February 1917 by the 1/1st South Midland and from April to June 1917 by the 32nd C.C.S
The whole of Plots VII to X were filled in April & May 1917 after the Battle of Arras.
After the Armistice, graves were brought in from smaller military cemeteries and it now holds 1,266 commonwealth WW1 burials.
Harry’s headstone reads: “ He gave his life for his King and country.”
|Published:||28th June 2016|
If you have any additional comments on the person named above, please complete the comments section below.