Harold Robert Fry

Date of birth: 1889
Place of birth: Southampton
Regiment: Hampshire
Battalion: 1/4th
Rank / Service No: Corporal, 204071
Died: 10th March 1917, aged 27 years
Buried: Amara War Cemetery

 

Harold was the third of 4 known siblings born to William and Isabella Fry (nee Priest), who married in Southampton in 1884.

It has to be presumed that one of their children died in infancy, because they are listed as having 5 siblings.

 

The family lived at 3 Upper Liverpool Street, Inner Avenue.

 

William, a carpenter, was born in Charmouth in 1858 and died in Romsey in 1943.

Isabella was born in Bristol in 1856 and she passed away in Southampton in 1936.

 

Siblings

Mabel Edith   b. 1885 Southampton   d. 1945 Isle of Wight

Norah Isabel   b. 1886 Southampton   d. 1960 Southampton   Married Michael J. Hamilton in Southampton in 1911.

Harold Robert

Reginald George   b. 1894 Southampton   d. 16.57 2 April 1926 New York. Reginald was crew on Mauretania, which had arrived in New York at Pier 54 on 9 February 1926. It appears that there must have been an “incident” but it has not been possible to ascertain further details.

 

The 1/4th battalion was formed at Winchester in August 1914, part of the Hampshire Brigade in the Wessex Division.They landed in Karachi on 11 November 1914 but sailed for Mesopotamia in early March 1915, arriving at Basra on 18th with the 33rd Indian Brigade.

The battalion was to remain in Mesopotamia and Persia for the rest of the war.

 

The Battalion HQ and one Company were captured at Kut-el-Amara on 29 April 1916 and the remainder formed a composite battalion with the 1/5th battalion, the Buffs, and – attached to the 35th Indian Brigade – transferred to the 14th Indian division.

The battalion then transferred to the 36th Indian Division in November 1916.

 

There appear to be no specific battles at the time of Harold’s death, so it must be presumed that he died either during a skirmish or as a result of sickness.

Amara was occupied by the Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force on 3 June 1915 and it immediately became a hospital centre.

 

By April 1917, seven general hospitals and some smaller units were stationed there.

925 of the 4621 WW1 burials in the cemetery are unidentified. All headstones were removed in 1933 when they were found to be deteriorating.

 

All names now appear on a screen wall.

 

Researcher: Mark Heritage
Published: 19th July 2016
Updated:

 

If you have any additional comments on the person named above, please complete the comments section below.

Advertisements