|Date of birth:||1885|
|Place of birth:||Southampton|
|Regiment / Division:||Hampshire|
|Battalion:||15th (Service) battalion|
|Died:||20 September 1917, aged 32 years|
|Buried:||Bedford House Cemetery, Belgium (Enclosure No. 4, Plot XIV, Row A, Grave 27)|
Life before the War
George was the fifth of 9 siblings born to Benjamin and Esther Jane Bone (nee Mills), who married in Southampton in 1878. Benjamin was born in Chilworth in 1859, and he died in Southampton in 1926. Esther was born in the city in 1860 and passed away in 1934.
The family lived at 13 Verulam Road, Bevois Valley and all the children were born in Southampton.
- Ethel b. 1879 d. 1929 Southampton Married James Howie Smith in Southampton in 1902.
- Arthur Henry b. 1880 d. 1958 Bromley Married Annie Rudgley in Southampton in 1904.
- Ellen Louisa b. 1881 d. 1957 Southampton Married Henry Fisher in Southampton in 1907.
- Elizabeth Jane b. 1884 d. 1967 Southampton Married Frank Ernest Hind in Southampton in 1905.
- George Thomas
- William Henry b. 1888 d. ?? Married Matilda Mary Mackrell in Portsmouth in 1907.
- Daisy Alice b. 1892 d. 1979 Southampton Married William A. Harding in Southampton in 1923.
- Thomas b. 1895 d. 1988 N/Forest Married Lily Humby in Southampton in 1922.
- Albert Benjamin b. 1897 d. 18.12.1917 War Casualty, France. Please select Albert’s name to read more of his story.
George would have perished during the Third Battle of Ypres, fought between June and November 1917.
Having captured the Messines Ridge from the Germans in June, the rest of the battle involved
trench warfare until Passchendaele was captured by the Allies in November 1917.
The cemetery had 6 enclosures, but Nos. 1 & 5 were moved to other cemeteries after the Armistice. No. 4 is the largest enclosure, and was used from June 1916 until February 1918, largely by the 48th (London) Division.
After the Armistice a further 3324 graves were brought in from other burial grounds and from the battlefields of the Ypres Salient.
Almost two-thirds of the graves are unidentified.
If you have any more information about the above named person, or any other name listed on this website or Southampton’s Cenotaph, please email Southampton.firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 023 8086 9599 and we will contact you.