|Date of birth:||9th August 1889|
|Place of birth:||Liverpool|
|Regiment:||The Kings (Liverpool)|
|Rank / Service No:||Private, 48397|
|Died:||27th February 1917, aged 27 years|
|Buried:||Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery, Greece|
George was the second of 4 siblings born to Robert and Laura Gibbs, who married in 1883.
Robert was born in Liverpool in 1865 and it is not known exactly when he died, although it may well have been pre 1903.
Laura was born in Plymouth in 1866 and she married Robert Gibson in Liverpool in 1903. She passed away in Leeds in 1942.
Alice Emily b. 25 October 1887 Liverpool d. 1950 Liverpool Married Victor William Stephen Coman in Liverpool in 1914.
John Thomas b. 24 December 1892 d. 1957 Wallasey Married May Vaughan in Kirkdale on 4 July 1920.
Edith b. 1896 Liverpool d .1985 Wallasey Married William Sheedy in Liverpool in 1922.
George married Martha Dignam in Liverpool on 28th February 1910. There are no clues to suggest that she was living in Southampton at the outbreak of war, although George is shown as living at 3 Ryde Terrace, Itchen.
Martha was born in Liverpool in 1890 and she remarried in that city in 1917. She married Edgar Lionel Perry and, between the wars, they must have moved to Southampton.
At the time of her death (23 November 1940) both were living at 9 Floating Bridge Road. It is possible that Martha died as a result of an air-raid on the Vosper factory at Woolston.
The 14th Kings were formed at Seaforth in October 1914, coming under the orders of the 65th Brigade in the 22nd Division.
The Division spent the early part of 1915 in training around Eastbourne and Seaford.
The division landed at Boulogne on 5 September 1915, concentrating near Flesselles.
In October 1915, the battalion and division moved by train to Marseilles, and embarked for Salonika on the 27th.
In 1916, the division fought in the Battle of Horsehoe Hill and the Battle of Machukovo.
In 1917 they were in action during the Battles of Doiran, which is probably when George succumbed.
The cemetery was begun in November 1915, with Commonwealth / French / Serbian / Italian and Russian sections.
The Commonwealth section remained in use until October 1918 although, from the beginning of 1917, burials were also made in Mikra British Cemetery.
After the Armistice other graves were brought in from other Greek areas and other countries, e.g Albania.
There are now 1,648 Commonwealth WW1 burials.
|Published:||28th July 2016|
If you have any additional comments on the person named above, please complete the comments section below.