|Date of birth:||22nd May 1891|
|Place of birth:||Portswood, Southampton|
|Rank / Service No:||Private, 3/3270|
|Died:||6th August 1915, aged 24 years|
|Commemorated:||Helles Memorial, Turkey|
George was the third of 11 siblings born to John Thomas and Ruth Kate Drake (nee Yeatman), who married in Southampton in 1883.
Both parents were born in the city, John in 1861 and Ruth in 1867. The family lived in Portswood, where all the children were born, latterly at 43 Northcote Road.
Ruth passed away in the city in 1922, with John dying in 1940.
Alice b. 1887 d. ??
John Thomas b. 1889 d. 1968 Southampton
William James b. 1893 d. 1962 Southampton Married Beatrice M. Steward in Southampton in 1920.
Ellen Mary b. 6 April 1895 d. 1983 Southampton Married Thomas H. Miller in Southampton in 1923.
Frederick b. 6 April 1898 d. 1961 Southampton Married Nellie E. Locke in Southampton in 1924.
Winifred Grace b. 1900 d. 1984 Exeter
Thomas b. 2 March 1904 d. 1975 Southampton Married Lilian V. Male in Southampton in 1930. Married Alice E. Noyce in Southampton in 1947.
Lilian Edith b. 5 April 1906 d. 2003 Cheshire Married Frank P. Lowman in Southampton in 1928.
Ruth KATE b. 1907 d. 1920 Southampton
Harry b. 1909 d. 1983 Southampton
George married Nellie Cole in Southampton in 1913. Nellie was born in the city in 1889, and they had no children.
Records show that Nellie emigrated to the USA in 1922, but it has not been possible to follow her life there.
George was not in the UK at the time of the 1911 Census. He was on a vessel rounding the Cape of Good Hope, on its way to India, with the rest of the 2nd Hampshires.
The Battalion only had 8 months in India before WW1 broke out. 900 men boarded the Gloucester Castle on 16 November 1914, bound for Plymouth.
They reached the UK on 22 December and relocated to Romsey, where they were attached to the 29th Division and the 88th Brigade.
The Battalion received a further 200 men in early 1915 and were originally bound for France. However, a change of plan involved the whole Division embarking for Gallipoli on March 12th 1915.
In late April, the Division landed at Cape Helles ready for action against the Turks.
The main fighting at the time of George’s death was during the attempted landings at Suvla Bay, but the 29th Division were land-based at that time.
George almost certainly perished during skirmishes around Helles.
The cemetery takes its name from the chain of forts made by the Turks across the southern end of the Gallipoli peninsula, in the fighting for Krithia and the Redoubt Line on which the Allied advance halted in May 1915.
The cemetery was begun by the 2nd Australian Infantry Brigade in the May, and continued in use until the evacuation in January 1916.
It was greatly increased after the Armistice, when the battlefields were cleared and graves were brought in from smaller cemeteries.
The cemetery now holds 2,027 Commonwealth servicemen buried or commemorated on site.
|Published:||7th July 2016|
If you have any additional comments on the person named above, please complete the comments section below.