Frederick George Lawrence

Date of birth: 1888
Place of birth: Southampton
Regiment: Hampshire
Battalion: 1/4th
Rank / Service No: Corporal, 241185
Died: 12th August 1917, aged 29 years
Buried: Amara War Cemetery, Iraq

 

Frederick was the elder of 2 siblings born to Frederick William and Harriett Augusta Lawrence (nee Parlett), who married in Southampton in 1887.

 

Both parents were born in 1862, Fredrick in Thetford and Harriett in Southsea.

It is not known when Frederick died but Harriett passed away in Southampton in 1936.

 

Frederick George’s sister, Kathleen May, was born in Southampton in 1889; unfortunately she passed away in 1892 as an infant.

 

 

 

The 1/4th battalion was formed at Winchester in August 1914, part of the Hampshire Brigade in the Wessex Division.

They landed in Karachi on 11 November 1914 but sailed for Mesopotamia in early March 1915, arriving at Basra on 18th with the 33rd Indian Brigade.

 

The battalion was to remain in Mesopotamia and Persia for the rest of the war.

 

The Battalion HQ and one Company were captured at Kut-el-Amara on 29 April 1916 and the remainder formed a composite battalion with the 1/5th battalion, the Buffs, and – attached to the 35th Indian Brigade – transferred to the 14th Indian Division.

 

2,000 British troops were taken prisoner by the Turks at the surrender of Kut. They were treated with cruelty and routine brutality and many died of disease and sickness.

Some of the prisoners were marched elsewhere in Mesopotamia, some all the way to Turkey. At least two-thirds of them never saw home again.

 

The rest of the battalion transferred to the 36th Indian Division in November 1916 and went on to Persia in January 1918 and was still fighting in August 1919.

 

Amara was occupied by the Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force on 3 June 1915 and it immediately became a hospital centre.

 

By April 1917, seven general hospitals and some smaller units were stationed there.

 

925 of the 4621 WW1 burials in the cemetery are unidentified. All headstones were removed in 1933 when they were found to be deteriorating.

 

All names now appear on a screen wall.

 

 

Researcher: Mark Heritage
Published: 7th November 2016
Updated:

 

If you have any additional comments on the person named above, please complete the comments section below.

Advertisements