|Date of birth:||1897|
|Place of birth:||Eton|
|Regiment:||Royal Garrison Artillery|
|Battalion:||154th Siege Battery|
|Rank / Service No:||Gunner, 352327|
|Died:||21st March 1918, aged 20 years|
|Buried:||Lebucqiere Communal Cemetery Extension, France (Plot II, Row G, Grave 13)|
Frank was the youngest of 7 siblings born to Frederick and Emma Frances Gilmore (nee Griffin), who married in Bromsgrove in 1882.
Frederick was born in Swindon in 1854 and he died in Southampton in 1938.
Emma was born in Bromsgrove in 1859 and she passed away in Southampton in 1940.
The couple appear to have spent a lot of their married life in and around London, but they were living at 20 Broadlands Road, Portswood at the 1911 Census.
Evelyn Frances b. 1883 Battersea d. 1967 Southampton Married Thomas Earp Taylor in Brentford in 1909.
Isabelle Florence b. 1884 Battersea d. 1969 Southampton
Leonard b. 1886 Battersea d. 1957 Hackney
Kathleen b. 1889 Hampton d. 1968 Poole Married Charles Mark Bromby in Brixton on 5 October 1912.
Sidney b. 1891 Hampton d. 5 July 1941 Aden
Sidney was a Second Engineer on the SS Almanzora, which served (with sister ships Alcantara and Andes) as an Armed Merchant Cruiser in WW1.
Almanzora reverted to a passenger liner after WW1, sailing between Southampton and La Plata, Argentina for 20 years.
She was converted to a troopship for WW2 and operated between England and India, normally via the Cape.
Sidney suddenly collapsed on board ship, and was found to have died from “bronchial asthma.”
Frederick OLIVER b. 1895 Eton d. 1949 Southampton Spent a lot of his adult life in India and Ceylon.
It is known that the 154th Siege Battery was formed from gunners from a Hampshire R.G.A Territorial Force, and that a large number of these men worked at Eastleigh railway depot.
The unit arrived in France between 16 – 21 July 1915 and spent all of its time around Ypres. In the spring of 1917, the unit was part of the 43rd Heavy Artillery Group.
A book was written by Captain Maurice C. Walker specifically about the 154th Battery….” A History of 154 Siege Battery R.G.A France 1916-19.”
The village of Lebucquiere was occupied by Commonwealth forces on 19 March 1917, following the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg line.
It was recaptured on 23 March 1918, after fierce resistance from the 19th (Western) Division, and was finally reoccupied by the 5th Division on 3 September 1918.
The Communal Cemetery Extension was begun on 24 March 1917 and, at the Armistice, it contained 150 burials.
It was then greatly enlarged and now holds 774 Commonwealth WW1 burials.
|Published:||3rd August 2016|
If you have any additional comments on the person named above, please complete the comments section below.