Everett William Cooke

Date of birth: January 1889
Place of birth: Wetherby
Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery
Battalion: 351st Siege
Rank / Service No: Gunner, 353421
Died: 21st October 1917, aged 28 years
Buried: Ypres Reservoir Cemetery, Belgium (Plot I, Row H, Grave 89)


Everett was the second of 8 known siblings born to William Everett and Selina Cooke (nee Barker), who married in Wetherby in 1886.

One sibling probably died in early childhood.

William was born in Norfolk in 1862 and Selina in Collingham, Yorkshire in 1865.


The family’s address is given as Scullards Hotel, Southampton. This probably means that sometime between the 1901 and 1911 Census, William became the manager of one of Southampton’s landmarks of the time.

The hotel was originally opened by Bournemouth resident Charlie Scullard in 1887, Above Bar. When he died, his widow (universally known as “Ma”) took over the running of the hotel.

It was a haunt of seafarers, both as a place to stay and to frequent the bar. Indeed John Strugnell, a Steward on the Titanic who lost his life, gave his address as the hotel.

It stood on various sites in the city; originally knocked down in the 1930’s to make way for the Odeon cinema, it reopened quickly in the rebuilt White Hart (an old coaching house that formerly occupied the site).

It was destroyed in WW2 but resurfaced again in 1953, before finally closing for good in 1972.



Mary Ann b. 1886 Wetherby   d. 1979 Leeds   Married Ernest Copperwheat in Kirkby Wharfe on 6 September 1905.

Everett William 

Ethel Wright   b. 1891 Wetherby   d. 1977 Nottingham   Married Harry Stafford in Nottingham in 1914.

Edith Elsie Elizabeth   b. 1894 Grimston   d. 1971 Abingdon   Married Joseph James Armstrong in Kirkby Wharfe on 1 May 1920.

Gertrude Annie   b. 1896 Grimston   d. 1952 Fylde

Albert Harry   b. 1897 Grimston   d. 1978 Fylde

John Arthur   b. 1897 Grimston   d. 1975 York   Married Ethel Mary Strangway in Kirkby Wharfe on 15 June 1927.

Reginald Cubitt   b. 1900 Grimston   d. 1974 York   Married Elsie A. Stoker in Tadcaster in 1923.


The 351st Siege Battery went to France on 30 April 1917. They were armed with 4 x 6” Howitzers, and joined the 88th Heavy Artillery Group on 5 May.

Various other “transfers” came about in subsequent months but, on 17 August 1917, they were made up to 6 guns with the addition of 407th Siege Battery.

This combined battery joined the 48th Artillery Brigade on 9 September and remained with it until the end of the war.


Everett almost certainly perished during the Battle of Poelcappelle, part of the Third Battle of Ypres.

The 48th Division was heavily involved here, in atrocious ground conditions, and against stout German defences.



Researcher: Mark Heritage
Published: 24th June 2016


If you have any additional comments on the person named above, please complete the comments section below.