Edward Omar Jordan

Date of birth: 2nd March 1881
Place of birth: Southampton
Regiment / Division: Mercantile Marine
Vessel: SS Warilda
Rank / Service No: Fireman
Died: 3rd August 1918, aged 37 years
Commemorated: Tower Hill Memorial


Edward was the second of 8 siblings born to Homer Passha and Alice Lavinia Jordan (nee Harland), who married in Southampton on 17 September 1877.


Homer, a seaman, was born in Chichester on 15 March 1858. He was evidently overseas when he met his end; he died from a cerebal tumour on 14 March 1907 in Granville, New South Wales.

Alice was born in Southampton in 1860. It appears she never remarried, and passed away in the city in 1942.



Ruth   b. 1878 Southampton   d. 1883 Southampton

Edward Omar

Albert William Henry   b. 1884 Southampton   d. ??   Married Elizabeth Smith in Kingston in 1910.

Lavinia Alice   b. 7 December 1886 Southampton   d. 1937 Southampton   Married George Henry Wilkinson in Southampton on 1 November 1911.

William   b. 23 December 1890   d. 1980 Portsmouth

Beatrice Maud   b. 25 September 1891 Southampton   d. ??   Married William E. C. Brown in Southampton in 1914.

Alice Maria   b. 1895 Southampton   d. 26 October 1977 Southampton   Married Harry J. Swanston in Southampton in 1913.

Homer Pasha   b. 23 February 1897 Southampton   d. 24 October 1958 So’ton Gen. Hospital Married Gladys V. Whettingsteel in Southampton in 1916.


Edward married Gertrude Bubb in Southampton in 1910. It appears that the couple had one daughter….


Gertrude May   b. 23 September 1915 Southampton   d. 1998 Southampton   Married Thomas Hartley in Southampton in 1941.


Gertrude had been born in Southampton on 11 February 1885, and she passed away in Bournemouth in 1974.



Warilda was a 7713 ton vessel built in Glasgow, for the Adelaide Steamship Compnay.

At the outbreak of war, she was requisitioned and converted into a troop ship.


She is known to have left Australia on 15 October 1915 with troops, and to have arrived at Suez on 5 November where the troops disembarked.


Warilda left Freemantle on 1 June 1916, again with troops, and they disembarked in Plymouth on 18 July.


On 3 August 1918, she was transporting wounded soldiers from Le Havre to Southampton when she was torpedoed by UC-49, even though Warilda was clearly marked with the Red Cross.


She sank in 2 hours, with 123 of the 801 crew and passengers perishing.



Researcher: Mark Heritage
Published: 5th October 2016


If you have any additional comments on the person named above, please complete the comments section below.